Tree Pruning and Fertilization Tips
Posted on July 29, 2023
Our area experiences a lot of hazardous weather every year. From the ice storms to severe weather events, we handle post storm cleanup for hundreds of trees and large branches every year. Your trees have been through a lot and may be in need of care and pruning as a result of all of the extreme weather.
The tree team here at Lotus is ready to help. We make it easy to take care of your trees. Just tell us what you need completed and we can do the work when we are in your area. If you would prefer to meet with us, we can schedule a time when you can be home. Late summer is a great time to schedule pruning for the fall.
The most common reasons to use a pruning service
Here are the most common reason people reach out to us for pruning services:
–Remove Broken Branches or Damaged Trees – This is the most common reason people call. This might be an “emergency call” where a branch is broken off or a tree is damaged. If you see a broken branch, call us immediately so that we can help you.
–Remove Diseased or Dead Branches – These are branches that don’t look like the others. These branches have few or no leaves, no bark, and they may look brittle.
–Improve The Structure of The Tree – This is where we thin out the branches in a way that balances the shape of the tree. This is also a good way to remove branches close to roof lines and away from structures.
–Increase Sun Exposure – If you have plants or a garden near a tree, you may want to shape the tree in a way that does not block out all of the sunlight. Our tree team can come up with a plan to help you plants flourish.
Prevent Tree Problems With Fertilization
One of the ways to keep trees healthy and prevent damage during weather events is by fertilizing. Fertilization is an important aspect of tree care that can enhance their health and growth.
Here are some tips for fertilizing your trees:
- Does Your Tree Need It – Before fertilizing, determine if your tree actually needs it. Perform a soil test to understand the nutrient levels in the soil. This will help you choose the right fertilizer and avoid unnecessary applications.
- Is It The Right Time -The best time to fertilize trees is usually in the early spring, just before the growing season begins. Applying fertilizer during this time ensures that the tree has the necessary nutrients available as it starts actively growing.
- Which Method Is Right – There are several ways to apply fertilizer to trees, including surface application, deep root feeding, and liquid injection. The method you choose may depend on the tree’s size, age, and specific requirements. Deep root feeding is often preferred as it targets the root zone directly.
- Remember To Water – After applying fertilizer, water the tree thoroughly. This helps to activate the fertilizer and carry it down to the root zone. Proper watering is essential for nutrient uptake.
- Avoid Stressed Trees – If a tree is already stressed due to drought, disease, or other factors, hold off on fertilization until it recovers. Fertilizing stressed trees can exacerbate their condition.
Along with fertilization, regular pruning, pest management, and maintaining proper soil health are equally important for the overall well-being of your trees.